Chief Executive Officer
Chamber of Commerce CEO
The Tigard Chamber of Commerce is a membership-based non-profit focused on building a vibrant business community, which we believe is the best way we can help Tigard flourish. We are a collaboration of small, medium, and large businesses, entrepreneurs, community non-profits, and local and state government partners focused on building a strong local economy that helps our city thrive.
The Tigard Chamber of Commerce is seeking a CEO to continue to guide our membership-based non-profit in our efforts to build a vibrant business community, which we believe is the best way we can help Tigard flourish. We are a collaboration of small, medium, and large businesses, entrepreneurs, community non-profits, and local and state government partners focused on building a strong local economy that helps our city thrive.
Our members are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are a collection of residents, business owners, community leaders, partners and people that are invested in the success of the Tigard community. There is a warmth and welcome to our organization that we want to grow – and that is where you come in. We believe we have a great story to tell, and we would like to know if you are our next CEO.
We are looking for an energetic, dynamic, and enthusiastic people-person who enjoys working with business leaders, non-profits, and government officials. Is a team player who enjoys networking and business development. Is inclusive and community minded. Has a growth mindset. This individual would be committed to support and grow our chamber and deepen our business and community connections. This is someone who can see, appreciate, and confidently promote what we stand for. The ideal candidate is someone who lives locally and has knowledge about the industries, businesses, and communities in and around Tigard, Oregon. Someone who is passionate about our mission and vision and is driven to continue to build on and develop existing and new relationships and partnerships for the members our organization serves.
Here are some additional details:
Chamber Membership: ~270
Total Number of Staff reporting to this position: 2 - 3
Average Population of City of Tigard: 53,500 and service additional other unincorporated communities.
The CEO of the Tigard Chamber reports to and is supervised by the Tigard Chamber Board of Directors Executive Committee and Current Board and is an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors. The CEO is responsible for the overall management of day-to-day Tigard Chamber operations and must be a team player, a people person, and approachable, with strategic leadership and programmatic experience required.
A successful candidate will demonstrate a proven track record of abilities including:
Responsibilities and Duties
- Providing leadership in the organization by planning and implementing strong business Advocacy on both social and economic issues affecting the business community. Establishes strong and clear relationships with all interested parties. Works with State, Federal, City, and County Legislators and/or staff to communicate and lobby for the needs of the Tigard community and Tigard Chamber members. Directs the work of Government Affairs and Public Policy and Candidate Endorsement Committees.
- Understands the basics of our local economy and its industries including Small Business, Real Estate and Mortgage, Home Services, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Hospitality, Restaurants, Insurance, Education, Retail, and Non-Profits.
- Directs all communications to the Tigard Chamber membership and general public. Ensures that organizational and business concerns are communicated regularly and effectively to all parties concerned and that organizational printed and digital communications are accurate, timely, and reflective of the organizational values. Provides and promotes opportunities for public forums or input.
- Works with the Board of Directors and Executive Committee to establish and implement the corporate strategic plan, mission, and vision. Provides leadership, training, and input to the Board. Coordinates Board recruitment and annual meeting. With the Board Chair, develops the agenda for Board and Executive Committee meetings. Advises the Board on all matters under consideration at all times.
- Develops a mission focused staff, assigns functions, defines lines of authority and responsibility, and sets up an efficient system of operation. Ensures staff has adequate training, supervision, and regular performance evaluations. Provides opportunities for staff to develop and grow professionally. Creates working conditions that are conducive to maximum performance and employee morale including 1:1’s and Staff meetings as needed.
- Works with HR Partner to administer staff related personal performance plans, coaching, discipline, hiring and termination and all paperwork that goes with these actions.
- Demonstrates leadership in the community through involvement and participation. Constantly strives to develop a better public understanding of the purpose and functions of the organization. Assists the Chair of the Board of Directors of the organization in representing the Chamber at appropriate local, regional, statewide, national events, and with the media.
- Oversees and manages the fiscal resources of the organization. Prepares the annual operating budget with line-item identification of expenses and income for all activities of the Tigard Chamber and its related organizations or projects.
- Studies issues and trends to identify opportunities or problems for local business and recommends related action.
- Along with the Board of Directors and Staff, Oversees the Tigard Chambers relationships with building tenants, City of Tigard Staff, Tigard Downtown Alliance, Tigard Farmers Market, Ambassador Program, Tigard Tualatin School District, Workforce Development, and other Councils and Committees as assigned.
- Ensures Organization maintains legal compliance with non-profit status rules and regulations.
- Is prepared and willing to represent the Tigard Chamber on Boards or Committees with the Oregon State Chamber of Commerce and Washington County Chamber of Commerce Partnership.
If you are looking for meaning in your work, want to make a community impact, expand your professional network immensely, and work with an amazing team, please apply.
Applications are accepted by email only. Please submit a cover letter explaining why this position sparks your interest.
Not sure if we’re a good fit? Apply anyway.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be a condition of employment for this role. All current staff members have been fully vaccinated.
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- any other languages besides English (Preferred)
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Work Location: One location